Monumental Garden of Valsanzibio
The remarkable Baroque garden of Villa Barbarigo has been described as "The Small Versailles - The Pearl of the Euganean Hills"
Originally commissioned in 1669 by the Venetian aristocratic family of the Barbarigo, the gardens are located on over 40 acres (160,000 m2) at Valsanzibio, a frazione of Galzignano Terme, 15km south of Padua in northern Italy.
It is girded by a remarkable Baroque garden and water works, with statuary and even a Boxwood labyrinth. The Villa was at one time accessible by boat from Venice, and the exuberant entry portal has the poles used in the city to tie up gondolas. The portal is pseudo palace facade with a broken pediment sporting a statue of Diana the hunter in the center, flanked by her dogs. Once through the gate, paths lead through a series of fountains and garden features, including water games. Some of the evergreen plantings date to the original gardens of the 17th-century. The gardens are accessible to visitors, but the villa remains private.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Villa Barbarigo (Valsanzibio), which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.
We welcome all contributions.
All submissions are reviewed before being published.
Villa Molin is a patrician residence in the neighborhood of Mandria, in Ponte della Cagna, south of Padua. It was designed for Nicolò Molin, a Venetian noble, by Vincenzo Scamozzi and completed in 1597.
A historical church decorated by Jacopo da Verona with frescoes inspired by the Gospels, episodes from daily life, and portraits of leading figures of fourteenth-century Padua
La Specola has been the astronomical observatory of Padua since 1765, built in the tower of Castelvecchio, the ancient castle of the city and the pride of medieval Padua.
Prato della Valle in Padua is one of the most spectacular squares in the world and, with its 90,000 square meters, is one of the largest in Europe.
The Paduan Basilica is one of the largest churches in the Christian world and one of the greatest masterpieces of Renaissance architecture.