Church of San Clemente

The small Church of Saint Clement is a medieval building dating back to 1190. The church is attached on three sides to adjacent buildings in Piazza dei Signori.

Church of San Clemente
© 'Chiesa di San Clemente in Piazza dei Signori' by Gerhard Bögner
Attribution copied to clipboard Failed copying attribution to clipboard

The terracotta facade is defined by four large pilasters with a large rose window in the centre above the entrance. On the sides, two niches house the statues of Saint Eligio on the left and Saint John the Baptist on the right. Above the large tympanum are the seventeenth-century statues of Saint Clement, Saint Justine and Saint Daniel.

The simple interior is structured in a single nave with a square apse. Next to the entrance is the Madonna and Child fresco by Jacopo Bellini, one of the founders of the Renaissance style of painting in northern Italy and the father-in-law of Andrea Mantegna. On the right wall is a seventeenth-century painting by Pietro Damini depicting Jesus in the act of delivering the keys to Saint Peter.

Location

Chiesa di San Clemente

Piazza dei Signori
Padua (PD), Veneto, Italy
Show map
Hours
Unavailable
Details

Category

Cost

Free
Nearby
  • Piazza dei Signori is an elegant open square surrounded by monumental works, fulfilling the role of the grand living room of Padua.

  • A true miracle of architectural audacity and an impressive collection of fourteenth-century mural paintings, the only secular and civil commission executed by Giotto in Padua

  • The Palazzo della Ragione, built in the Middle Ages as the seat of the city courts, still hosts on the ground floor one of the oldest European markets

  • The Council Loggia, also called Loggia of Gran Guardia, is an elegant building built on a 1496 project by Annibale Maggi da Bassano to accommodate the city council following the fire that damaged the Palazzo della Ragione in 1420.

  • Piazza della Frutta, once called Piazza del Peronio, has been the commercial heart of Padua for centuries.